Jo Jennings, Events Manager at Hampton Court Palace – cared for by independent charity Historic Royal Palaces – offers brides-to-be some top tips to plan the perfect winter wedding
1. Utilise the early sunset to enhance your venue with lighting – this can be so effective and can really create an atmosphere for your guests to enjoy
2. Enhance the seasonality of winter with your choice of flowers and décor. Using Christmas trees as your table plan is a fun alternative to a sensible easel – simply hang the different table names off the branches
3. Assume that the weather will be wet and cold and make plans to accommodate this! That way, whatever the temperature on the day your guests will not be uncomfortable. A thoughtfully placed blanket/wrap on the back of a chair is a lovely touch
4. Embrace the winter theme by offering guests a hot toddy or mulled drink on arrival. Not only will it warm them up, but the smell of spices will add to the ambience of your wedding
5. Check that your chosen venue has provisions in place if there is snow or icy weather. You need to be confident that guests will be accommodated in a safe way should there be extreme weather. Consider how easy the venue is to get to if public transport is out of action.