Vows and Venues have spoken with award-winning dietitian Sian Porter, who has teamed up with California Walnuts to share out the top 6 healthy snack alternatives to chocolate.
Snacking can be an effective, not to mention tasty, way to manage appetite between mealtimes, especially in the run up to your wedding and swapping snacks which are higher in fat, salt and sugars for healthier alternatives will help ensure you keep things in balance.
If you’re thinking about cutting out chocolate ahead of your big day then it can help to have some healthy snack options up your sleeve, ready for when the biscuit tin starts to beckon…
Simple to store and quick and easy to prepare, these snacking options will see you through hunger pangs wherever you are – whether that be on your way to a dress fitting, out bridesmaids dress shopping or picking up flowers. So give them a try!
Top 6 healthy snack choices to replace chocolate
1. A handful (30 grams) of Californian Walnuts – eat them one by one and really savour the flavour
2. A smoothie – whizz up a handful of frozen berries, or whole fruit and leafy veg of choice and a small pot or 3 tablespoons of natural unsweetened live yogurt
3. Veg sticks of pepper, cucumber, celery and carrots dipped in walnut butter
4. A small pack of plain popcorn (around 20g)
5. Wholegrain toast or crackers and hummus
6. ¼ mashed avocado with a sprinkle of chilli flakes or black pepper with veg sticks
A little bit about California Walnuts
The California Walnut Commission (CWC), established in 1987, represents the California walnut industry made up of over 4,800 growers and close to 100 handlers. The CWC is mainly involved in health research and export market development activities. More than 99% of the walnuts produced in U.S. are grown in the fertile soils of California. Internationally, California walnuts supply two-thirds of the world’s walnut trade.
You can find out more about California Walnuts here.